Today we will be talking about how to choose the best laptops for interior design architectural students. Here the question arises, what to exactly look for when choosing a laptop or computer For Interior Design? So, that you can make an informed decision for your next purchase. And all the laptops listed below are nothing that is overly expensive.
A good quality laptop is important however not just any computer will do because there are so many laptops that can run the software. But that doesn’t mean that those laptops can run it well or at least not well enough.
List of laptops featured in this article
Pro tips to buy a good laptop that is perfect for you.
Pro tip #1
To buy a regular laptop for the first year or so. Or use whatever you might have and then buy a more powerful laptop for the rest of your undergraduate years. The reason being is that you will know more about what to look for. When buying a laptop because you kind of already know what to expect.
When you’re thinking of buying a laptop your decision should be based on the system requirements of the programs you will be using. Which you can find on their sites.
Pro tip #2:
Buy an affordable laptop for the mean time with an HDD if you can’t afford the SSD. Then add an SSD later buy a case and then use your HDD that you already had as an external hard drive. And if you buy the separate SSD you can find them for really cheap on Amazon or even less. This is a quick overview of the minimum specification recommended best laptops for interior design.
Pro tip #3:
It is important for you to do your research if you want to make a one-off investment that will last and give you as little headaches as possible. So, definitely before purchasing check reviews, feedback and the reviews on Amazon to make sure that it fits with your needs. So we’re starting with the most affordable laptop
Best Laptops For Interior Design and Affordable laptop for Students
Your laptop must fall in below specs to get good performance:
- Ram: 8Gb Minimum
- Hard Drive: 500Gb or more
- SSD: 250Gb
- Graphics Card 1-2 Gb
- Display: [1600 X 900] or [1920 X 1080]
HP 250 G6
- 8GB DDR4 RAM, 500GB HDD; (Seal is opened for upgrade ONLY, Professional Installation Service included)
- 15.6-Inch Anti-Glare Backlit-LED HD (1366x768) NON-Touch Display with Front Facing Webcam
- Intel Core i5-6200U 2.30 GHz (Turbo 2.80 GHz, 2 Cores 4 Threads, 3MB SmartCache)
- Dual Band Wireless-AC 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi + Bluetooth v4.2 | NON-Backlit keyboard | VGA | Ethernet Gigabit (RJ-45) | HDMI | USB 3.0 Type-A
- Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Ideal for Home, Student, Professionals, Small Business, School Education, and Commercial Enterprise
It has a better processor and an SSD already built in because It had an HDD but you can swapped it with an SSD. The i7 CPU and 8 gigabyte RAM means that this laptop is really fast. Also very fast in multitasking running through different programs. If you think 256 gigabyte isn’t enough you can always use an external hard drive or add extra storage later. 12 hours of battery usage which means it will run for a long time for general laptop use. But when you’re rendering it could run for a little less. Nonetheless a very good laptop in a very affordable price. And we think that this is best laptops for interior design.
IdeaPad 710 S Plus
- CUTTING-EDGE DESIGN: With 5 mm narrow bezels on all 4 sides of its brilliant display, the IdeaPad 710S Plus is 50% thinner than many other laptops—offering head-turning style to match its jaw-dropping performance.
- PREMIUM PERFORMANCE: This portable computer packs a punch with an Intel Core i7 processor and lightning-fast solid state drive, plus includes a fingerprint reader for multiple users and accounts so you can log in quickly and securely.
- WINDOWS 10: Complete with several new features to streamline your life, Cortana is your own personal digital assistant who answers questions, sets reminders and syncs with a suite of apps and devices to keep you organized.
- CRYSTAL-CLEAR DISPLAY: High resolution 13-inch laptop has exceptional details, color, and clarity. For high-definition movies and extreme gaming, HD graphics guarantee a more intense viewing experience.
- CINEMA-WORTHY SOUND: JBL stereo speakers and Dolby Audio Premium offer an awesome sound experience that sounds like a personal home theater built into your laptop.
This is a nice laptop. if you prefer to go anywhere and you need a light and portable laptop at only 1.2 kilogram. The screen is full HD and makes decent photos or videos. The i7 processor also should help you with deal with anything you throw at. Lightweight and portable laptop with the latest generation intel core processor you get a high performance for more demanding apps like Photoshop Revit AutoCAD. It handles intense graphical editing or rendering without slowing down performance with 2 gigabyte of Nvidia graphics.
Asus FX 505
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB graphics (base: 1395MHz, Boost: 1560MHz, TDP: 50W)
- Quad-core AMD Ryzen 5 r5-3550h processor
- 15.6” 120Hz full HD (1920x1080) IPS-type display
- 256GB NVMe SSD | 8GB DDR4 RAM | Windows 10 Home
- Gigabit wave 2 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11AC)
It is a gaming desktop inspired keyboard with a backlit keys. Despite its compact size it packs the punch of a full-fledged gaming desktop. It is powered by the 8th generation Intel Core processor with the speed of up to 3.9 gigahertz. And 6 cores so it’s very fast and very efficient. Also it have the SSD and 1 terabyte of HDD so you have a huge amount of storage.
Asus Rog Strix G
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 (Base 960 MHz Boost 1200 MHz TDP 80W)
- Latest 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H Hexa-core Processor
- 120Hz 15 6” Full HD 1920x1080 IPS Type Display
- 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM | 512GB PCIe SSD | Windows 10 Home | Gigabit Wave 2 Wi-Fi 5 (802 11ac 2x2)
- ROG Intelligent Cooling thermal system with dual 12V fans anti-dust technology and adjustable fan modes
This laptop is best laptops for interior design and architecture students who are looking to buy their first laptop for architectural programs. You know maybe do a little bit of gaming on the side. You know architectural games like minecraft or sims. So you don’t feel guilty about gaming when you have a project.
This laptop has a 15.6 inch screen which is the perfect size for a laptop anything bigger. And you will have trouble carrying it around and you are gonna need to use a magnifying glass just to align your lines properly in autocad. So this has a 9th gen AI 797 50 Hertz of processor which has six physical cores and 12 threads. Which means you get more cores for multitasking. So, you can switch between AutoCAD and Sketchup with no problem and you will also get faster render speeds for CPU.
Intensive renders like v-ray as for the RAM you get 8 gigs of ram which is all you need for everyday rabbit and Auto-CAD tasks. Just make sure you don’t have too much Google Chrome tabs open you know that browser just eats up Ram like crazy. So, for the graphics card this laptop has a Gtx 1650 and VGA graphics card which has 4 gigabytes of vRam. Basically what vRams means is that this can handle 3D models with lots of faces and we’ll make revolving and Sketch up or Rivet.
is smooth because let’s be honest guys 50% of your time 3D modeling is spent rotating your 3d model around. Lastly this laptop has 512 gigabytes of PCIe MDOT and 2 nvme SSD. Basically what that is a high speed storage where you can save your large files faster. Because you know when you’re working on a really important project you gotta save every five minutes and sometimes it takes forever to save.
So this SSD storage solves that problem and reduces your save times aside from this SSD. You have a 1 terabyte hard drive where you can backup your project files for long-term storage. Remember guys always create multiple copies of your files. Other features of this laptop is that it has an RGB lighting on the bottom of your laptop and on your keyboard. So if you’re into that RGB master race lifestyle this is the laptop for you.
- Display: 17.3" Thin Bezel FHD, IPS-Level 100%sRGB 1920x1080 16: 9
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650 [Max-Q] 4G GDDR5
- Processor: Intel Core i7-9750h 2.6 - 4.5GHz
- Memory: 16GB (8G*2) DDR4 2666MHz 2 Sockets; Max Memory 64GB
- Storage: 512GB NVMe SSD
This laptop has similar specs as it has the same i7 97 processor with 50 Hertz. 8 gigs of ram and X16 50 graphics card. It has 256 gigabytes of superfast SSD storage. The keys can only light up red as opposed to the RGB keyboard. This one has a larger screen at 7.3 inches which makes this laptop best laptops for interior design and for media consumption and 3D modeling. It has better specs then Asus Rog Strix G but when it comes to the looks I prefer this MSI laptop. Because it has a sleeker and more professional look to it.
Lenovo yoga C 630
- Get all-day battery life and great performance from the Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 Octa-Core processor.
- Marvel at the stunning 13.3” wide-angle Full-HD Touchscreen IPS display, powered by integrated Qualcomm Adreno graphics
- 2-in-1 laptop design you can flip into a position that’s best for you: Laptop Mode, Tent Mode, Tablet Mode, & Display Mode
- 128GB UFS 2.1 Internal Storage; 8GB DDR4 Memory
- 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi; Bluetooth 4.2; Backlit Keyboard; Windows 10 Home in S Mode
This one has a 10th gen i7/10 510U processor which unfortunately only has 4 cores and 8 threads which is like two cores. It only has Intel integrated graphics which means that this does not have a dedicated graphics card. Meaning you can only model residential houses with this laptop anything bigger. And more complicated than that will definitely make this notebook struggle. So, why did we place this notebook on this list, well this notebook is for those who already have a powerful rendering PC at home.
If you are looking for a light portable laptop that they can use at school. So one of the features about this laptop is that it can be folded into this tablet form. Where you can use a stylus to create drawing sketches and anything that your heart desires like weird Sasuke drawings. If you’re looking for a laptop that perfectly complements your rendering PC at home. This Lenovo laptop is a great choice you should look int.
Acer Aspire 7G
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 4.1GHz)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display
- 8GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory, 128GB SSD & 1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi |Backlit Keyboard | USB 3.1 Type C Gen 1 port | Fingerprint Reader
Acer Aspire 7G has an i5 laptop but you know you can managed to survive and render all of your rendering. So, yeah as long as your laptop has an i7 processor you don’t have anything to worry about. Aspire 7 has a core i7 97 50 Hert processor.It is that this one has a Gtx 1050 instead of a gtx 1650. Meaning that this laptop has a less powerful graphics card but it could still handle any 3D modeling project. It has screen size of 15.6 inches so aside from those other specs this laptop has 16 gigabytes of RAM which is good. Now this will come in handy when you are trying to render large scenes and when you are multitasking with more than two modeling programs.
Dell G7 7590
- Powered by the latest H Series 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H Processor @ 2.60GHz(6 Cores, 12M Cache, up to 4.50 GHz), Powerful 6-core, twelve-way processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it, while increasing energy efficiency when you don't.
- 15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS 300-nits Display. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Backed by 6GB GDDR6 dedicated video memory for an ultrafast, advanced GPU to fuel your games.
- 16GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM Memory for intense multitasking and gaming; 1TB 5400 rpm 2.5" SATA Hard Drive + 256GB PCI-e Solid State Drive for faster performance and better reliability; Pci-e SSDs are great for major gaming applications, multiple servers, daily backups, and more.
- Killer Wireless 1550 2x2 AC and Bluetooth 5.0; 1. 2-in-1 SD/MicroMedia Card | 2. USB 3.1 | 3. Power | 4. HDMI 2.0 | 5. USB 3.1 | 6. Mini DisplayPorti | 7. RJ-45 Killer Networks E2500V2 Gigabit Ethernet Port | 8. Wedge Lock Slot | 9. USB-C DisplayPort/USB-C Thunderboltii| 10. USB 3.1 | 11. Headphone Jack
- Windows 10 Home 64bit English; 60 WHr, 4-Cell Battery; Abyss Grey; backlit keyboard for easy typing in dim or dark locations.
It is a gaming laptop, so you guys may notice that most of the laptops listed are gaming laptops. That is because most hardware used by games are also the ones used architectural softwares. If we say that architecture softwares are just games that are less fun. So, spec wise this laptop has the i7 97 50 Hertz processor and 15.6 inch screen. And 8 gigabytes of RAM. So the only difference is that this has a Gtx 1660 TI which is the most powerful video card. This video card can handle any model you chuck at it without even breaking a sweat but this comes at a price. Since it is the most powerful laptop on this kind of graphics wise. So, basically what this means is you can run any new triple-a game title on this thing. That is why this most powerful laptop is best laptops for interior design students.
Which is Best Laptops For Interior Design?
Laptop Or Desktops
This is an easy question when thinking on which is best for you. You should straightaway go for a laptop and just ignore the PC for now. Because no options that a laptop have is greater and more powerfull than the extra power vs cost a desktop can offer. Because the architectural student needs to be working on different locations every day. So, portability and flexibility are key. However, in an ideal situation you would supplement your laptop with a desktop Windows. If preferred choice is laptop then you must need to protect laptop to carry out because of your architectural work. So you need a good quality laptop bags that protects your laptop from damage.
Mac Or Windows?
Windows is the most favorite of architectural firms and Mac. It is also well used for professionals but it is safe to say that Macs are much more expensive than Windows. Laptops importantly they are limited with the software you can use for architecture purposes. And if you need to use Revit or 3D-max these are not available on a Mac and you’ll either have to visualize windows using a parallels or by bootcamp.
Actually boot windows on your windows laptops are kind of future-proof as you can abrogate them and swap their parts anytime. So, you’ll have a flexible laptop which you won’t need to change every year. Or so if you want a large screen remember that usually comes with extra weight. If you will only be working on a laptop in your room. A larger heavier laptop may not be a problem. Laptop screen sizes can range from about 11 to 17 inches. The screen sizes between 15 and 17 inches is the best laptops for interior design renderings at a full high-definition resolution. Best Monitors For Interior Design
The processor is the brain of the computer which is the most important thing because all of the programs uses a lot of CPU which is another word for processor. Intel and AMD are the main manufacturers of processors a powerful processor will make your laptop run faster. So, it is definitely very wise to get at least Intel i5 or the newest generation or above to avoid any hassle.
What Is Ram?
So, for those of you who may not know what Ram is for it is kind of like a pocket that your computer utilizes to temporarily store information. Regarding programs you are using so for example you are going to render with v-ray. Your PC is going to store all your render information in the RAM first. While it is rendering so if you experience crashes when modeling or rendering chances are that your computer doesn’t have enough RAM to store. Your programs are utilizing so there you go explain that to your parents when they ask you why you need to upgrade your RAM for your laptops. Always choose the good quality to make your laptop best laptops for interior design and run for log years, Bad quality of rams can destroy laptop in terms of speed.
It is the computer’s memory, any time you’re working on multiple programs simultaneously it is using your ram. So, the more Ram it has the more programs your laptop can deal with at time without slowing it down. The recommended requirement is 8 gigabyte or higher. The good thing is that you can always add extra ram later but you do need to check the maximum ram capacity of your laptop. Buy the most power full ram.
Nvidea VS AMD
If you want the best laptops for interior design the best makers of graphics card in our opinion are Nvidia graphics and AMD graphics. Try getting a laptop with at least 2 gigabyte of dedicated graphics card for smooth processing. Nvidea for desktops | AMD for Desktops
Hard drives or SSDs
They are the memory device that permanently stores and retrieves data on your computer. You have two types hard-disk driver which are the most common and can store large amounts of data. The other type which is the best type is the solid-state drive the SSD. Which is super fast and consumes less power meaning your battery will last even longer. So definitely get a laptop and an SSD if you can afford it. Buy the best selling SSD for laptop.
The gaming chairs are the best top protects your back. If your a such kind of a students that sits for a long hours then you need a good quality gaming chair. Read full article how gaming chairs protect your back.
I’m afraid to say that there isn’t a best laptops for interior design or specially designed for architecture purposes. Because we can recommend an expensive laptop and say that this is the best. But what would that do if you can afford it. So, just try to get the best that you can afford. On Amazon you can find them as new used or refurbished. They’re very reliable and I would recommend buying a used or refurbished in a very good condition or good as new. Because that can save you a few hundred pounds.