Here we described 10 best laptops for video game design and development. Game Design, development 3D modeling and animation software are undoubtedly among the most demanding in terms of resources. If the stations were almost the only option for those who want to invest seriously, today there are laptops whose performance is significantly closer to the towers. It’s a fact, laptops are becoming more and more powerful, as evidenced by the name of the recent Nvidia graphics cards which have abandoned their “M” (for mobile) to mark the notable evolution in terms of performance which brings them closer to their office counterparts.
However, the choice is vast and it is not always easy to distinguish between computers capable of running 3D modeling software without flinching. This is the purpose of this article, to help you choose the computer that best suits your use. Besides the CPU which is the fundamental component of any computer managing 3D, a good GPU is more than necessary in order to lighten the workload of the processor and the RAM. A computer with a higher screen resolution, a relatively large screen size as well as a good storage capacity is also appreciable although objectively not fundamental.
Today, gaming laptops offer excellent graphics performance and adapt very well to 3D modeling and animation needs, so it’s quite normal to find a lot of them in this list.
10 Best laptops for video game design and development
10: Lenovo Ideapad L340
- Intel 9th Gen Core i7-9750H Processor (2.60 GHz base clock, up to 4.50 GHz max boost clock, 8 MB Cache, 6 Cores), the IdeaPad L340 Gaming has all the power you need to outshoot, outrun, and outsmart anyone
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with 4GB GDDR6 graphics ram and 17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS anti-glare. Featuring innovative new architecture, they deliver elite, multi-threaded processing for gaming, streaming, creativity, VR and more.
- The 16GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB M.2 NVMe QLC PCIe make the system with enough storage space and also memorizes, preloads, and accelerates your most used games and applications, reducing loading and waiting times.
- Lose yourself in the game - 802.11ac Wireless LAN, Bluetooth and RJ-45 LAN Ethernet, 1x HDMI 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack. A full-sized keyboard with ambient backlighting and a slick, stylish design. The IdeaPad L340 17” Gaming is a real gamer's laptop, from the inside out.
- Best System Yet - The Window 10 defends your desktops using built-in security tools that always stay current with the latest threats. Proactively safeguard your organization with enterprise-level security on all apps and devices. And give you the easy, collaborative experiences, with access to the latest intelligent technologies. Stay in control of your organization's devices while delivering rich capabilities across PC and mobile.
CPU: Core i7-9750H | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 4 GB VRAM | RAM: 16 GB DDR4| Screen: 17.3″ FHD (1920 x 1080) | Storage: 512GB PCIe SSD
With a 17.3-inch Full HD screen, the Lenovo Ideapadd L340 is a computer originally created for gaming using a latest generation i7-9750H processor, a decent graphics card, the Nvidia Geforce GTX1650 and 16 GB of ram memory all supported by a 512 GB SSD.
For its price, this laptop has an essential quality namely solid performance thanks to its good processor and its NVIDIA GTX 1650 graphics card with 4 GB of video memory. Such a configuration would normally cost around $1050.
9: Dell G3 3590
- 9th Generation Intel Core i5-9300H processor (up to 4.1GHz)
- 512GB NVMe Solid State Drive
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 15.6" Full HD displaygraphics 6GB GDDR6 Graphics
- 15.6" Full HD Display
- 8GB DD4 RAM, Backlit Keyboard, Wifi AC, Bluetooth, Windows 10
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H | GPU: NvidiaGTX 1660Ti 6 GB VRAM | RAM: 8 GB | Screen: 15 ″ FHD | Storage: 512 GB SSD
The G3 is the mid-range laptop from the Inspiron series from Dell. It is an excellent PC which is part of the G3 range known for its ultra-competitive prices. And this one is no exception. Judge its data sheet: core i7-9750H, 8 GB of Ram, the powerful Nvidia GTX 1660Ti with 6 GB VRAM to manage the graphics and 512 GB SSD for storage, all offered at a price defying any competition.
It will run the editing software without problem thanks to its good processor and its graphics card. Its design is gamer oriented, with touches of blue, which will not necessarily be to everyone’s taste. But if you like this design, go for it.
8: MSI GF65
- 15.6" FHD (1920*1080) IPS-Level 120Hz Thin Bezel NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6G GDDR6
- Core i7-9750H 2.6 - 4.5GHz Intel 9560 Jefferson Peak (2x2 802 11 ac)
- 512GB NVMe SSD 8GB (8G*1)DDR4 2666MHz 2 Sockets Max Memory 64GB
- USB 3.2 Gen1 Type C *2 USB 3.2 Gen1 *2 Single backlight with Anti-Ghost key+ silver lining 720p HD Webcam
- Win 10 Multi-language Speakers 2W*2 3 cell (51Whr) Li-Polymer 180W
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 6 GB VRAM | RAM: 8 GB | Screen: 15 ″ FHD | Storage: 512 GB SSD
The GF63 is the entry-level laptop from the MSI series of laptops. The performance / price ratio is the main advantage of the GF65. The system can handle much better than expected higher Turbo Boost clock frequencies and with lower temperatures during demanding tasks such as rendering. Its technical sheet is balanced: core i7-9750H, 8 GB of Ram, the Nvidia RTX 2060 card with 6 GB VRAM to manage the graphics part and 512 GB SSD for storage, all offered at an unbeatable price.
Able to run most 3D software with good fluidity, it will be perfect for those looking for a high-performance laptop while having a relatively limited budget. The new design is relatively simple and light, especially for a gaming PC. The pc has a good autonomy but is slightly noisy in use when too much used for heavy tasks (during the rendering phase in particular).
7:: Lenovo Legion 5
- Lenovo Legion 5 Laptop Computer with 15.6 inch 120Hz FHD (1920 x 1080) Display and Windows 10 Home—The fastest, cleanest and most intuitive version of Windows yet!
- AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.9 - 4.2GHz 8-core Processor | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Dedicated Graphics
- 8GB RAM (Memory) | 512GB NVMe SSD
- Webcam, Gigabit LAN (Ethernet), WiFi, Bluetooth, Security Slot, Full-size keypad with number pad
- 1x HDMI, 4x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 1x USB-C 3.1 Gen 1
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: GTX 1650 4 GB VRAM | RAM: 8 GB | Screen: 15 ″ FHD (1,920 x 1,080) | Storage: 512 GB SSD
The Lenovo Legion 5 is a great choice if you’re looking for performance without spending huge amounts of money. Indeed, this computer offers a lot in terms of power for its price thanks to its AMD Ryzen 7 4800H processor, its Nvidia GTX 1650 graphics card with 4 GB of video memory and 8 GB of RAM, all accompanied by a good 512 GB SSD drive.
It is particularly suitable for those who have to use complex 3D modeling software. It’s a generally well-built computer with a good keyboard, low weight and solid performance. Although being a gaming PC, it is sober and rather pleasing to the eye.
6: Asus TUF505DT
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 (Base: 1455MHz, Boost: 1590MHz, TDP: 80W)
- Quad-core AMD Ryzen 7 3750H Processor
- 15.6” Full HD (1920x1080) 120Hz IPS-Type display
- 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM | Windows 10 Home
- Gigabit Wave 2 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7-3750H GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 4 GB VRAM | RAM: 16 GB | Screen: 15 ″ FHD (1,920 x 1,080) | Storage: 512 GB SSD
The TUF505DT from Chez Asus is a laptop that does not lack charm. It is an entry level laptop, certainly not the most powerful but still capable of performing large tasks. It has an AMD Ryzen 7 3750H processor, the powerful Nvidia GTX 16650 graphics card with 4 GB of VRAM, 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB of SSD for storage. A roundly balanced configuration, all in a 2.25 kg chassis. If you can get good performance in gamer design and development then the Asus TUF505DT is a great choice.
5: Asus ROG G15
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 (base: 1445 MHz, Boost: 1590 MHz; TDP: 80W)
- Latest 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750h Hexa-Core processor
- 240Hz 3ms 15.6” full HD (1920x1080) IPS type Pantone validated display
- 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM | 512GB PCIe SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Gigabit wave 2 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11AC 2x2)
- Ultra-slim 15’’ metal chassis, 18.9 millimeter thin, 4.4 pounds
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS| GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 | RAM: 16 GB | Screen: 15.6″ FHD (1,920 x 1,080) | Storage: 1 TB SSD
The ROG G15 is a versatile 15-inch laptop computer of very good quality. It performs admirably when used for demanding tasks, with a compact construction and a powerful and fast screen (144 Hz).
The G15 adopts a 15.6-inch 144 Hz FHD screen, the latest generation six-core AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS processor, 16 GB of RAM, a 512 GB SSD drive, all supported by the powerful Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 graphics card with 8 GB of RAM. The least we can say is that it is heavily armed for 3D modeling and animation. It’s an elegant laptop that combines performance and portability.
4: Asus Zenbook UX534
- ScreenPad Plus: 14 inches 4K matte touchscreen, giving you endless way to optimize your multitasking experience by extending the screen or split windows and apps on both displays
- 15.6 inches 4K UHD NanoEdge touchscreen glossy main display
- Latest 9th generation Intel Core i7 9750H Quad Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.5 GHz) with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
- Detachable palm rest and ASUS active stylus pen included
- Fast storage and memory featuring 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD with 16GB DDR4 RAM
CPU: Core i7-9750H | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 4 GB VRAM | RAM: 16 GB | Screen: 15.6 4k ″ UHD | Storage: 1 TB SSD
One of the last nuggets of Asus, the Asus Zenbook is a compact and powerful computer, moreover, one of the best in its class and probably the best alternative to the Dell XPS 15. It is a gem of ergonomics and design for those who are looking for a compact and elegant screen pc while being powerful enough to run graphics software.
Little more than this Asus laptop, the ASUS ScreenPad ™ is a technology helping you to interact with your laptop, and which constitutes a major advance compared to the touchpads existing since 1992. You have the possibility of using special applications using your ScreenPad, to have at your fingertips more useful controls and tools like the calculator, the numeric keypad or the audio player. It’s a little extra that brings a lot in ergonomics and is more than welcome.
On the performance side, we have a good latest i7-9750H core processor, 16 GB of ram, 1 TB of SSD and graphics side, its Nvidia RTX 2060 equipped. It is a compact laptop but it is not that far from gamer laptops, performance side. It is a perfect compromise between design, ergonomics and performance. An ideal pc if you want to combine power and portability.
3: Dell XPS 15
- 15.6" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge anti-reflective touch IPS 100% a do be RGB 500-nits display
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750h (12MB Cache, up to 4. 5 GHz, 6 Cores)
- 16GB DDR4-2666MHz, 2x8G
- 1TB PCIe SSD
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 4 GB VRAM | RAM: 16 GB | Screen: 15″ FHD | Storage: 1 TB SSD
The Dell XPS 15 is a practically borderless InfinityEdge screen in FHD resolution, a Core i7-9750H processor, 16 GB of RAM as well as a 1 TB SSD. On the graphics side, the NVIDIA Geforce 1650 card with 4 GB of video memory is doing the job. Nothing to say, performance side, the Dell XPS 15 has what it takes. But performance is not its only strength. It has one of the best screens on the market, with excellent color rendering.
The Dell XPS 15 is a perfect blend of power and portability, in addition to its particularly neat design. It is a simple and elegant computer, weighing less than 2 kg. The Dell XPS 15 incorporates a 15-inch screen with a weight of 1.75 Kg, which makes it a compact and light computer. The XPS 15 nevertheless has enough power to allow you to turn most of your drawing or animation software.
With a very ergonomic keyboard, a precise touch-pad, a wide range of configurations, an unequaled design, a good screen and a battery life of almost 11 hours, the Dell XPS 15 is a real gem.
2: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme (2nd Gen)
- Lenovo 15.6" ThinkPad X1 Extreme Laptop (2nd Gen)
- 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7-9750H Six-Core
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4GB GDDR5) - 32 GB RAM
- 15.6" 3840 x 2160 IPS Display - 1 TB SSD TCG Opal Encryption 2
- Win 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H | GPU: G TX 1650 4 GB VRAM | RAM: 32 GB | Screen: 15.6 ″ UHD (3840 x 2160) | Storage: 1 TB SSD
With the first generation of the ThinkPad X1 Extreme, Lenovo has sent a clear message to Dell and Apple that the company will not let the XPS 15 and MacBook Pro take the throne of the 15.6-inch laptop segment. The 1st gen X1 Extreme was excellent in many ways, delivering fast performance and a beautiful display in a lightweight package. But he suffered from poor battery life.
Although still not famous, especially when embarking on a 4K screen, the second generation of the Thinkpad X1 Extreme is doing better on this point. With a similar design, super-fast performance and a great screen, the ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 is a great choice for designers and professionals. It is also one of the best ThinkPads on the market.
If autonomy is a primary criterion for you, you can opt for a 1080p panel during configuration, but you will miss out on the superb 4K HDR display option. It is one of the most robust pcs on the market, being able, as its name suggests, to withstand extreme conditions.
On the performance side, it is available in 3 different models that you can configure according to your needs. To be perfectly comfortable, I recommend at least the mid-range model with an i7-9750H core, 32 GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GTX 1650.
1: Acer ConceptD 7
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 4. 5GHz) with Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with MAX-Q Design with 8 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM | NVIDIA Studio | RTX Studio Laptop
- 15. 6" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display | PANTONE Validated | Delta E <2 | 400nit Brightness | 100% Adobe RGB Color Gamut
- 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory | 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD
- Amber Colored Backlit Keyboard | LAN: Killer Ethernet E3000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (Up to 2. 5 Gbps) | Wireless: Killer DoubleShot Pro Wireless-AC 1550 802. 11ac
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 8 GB VRAM | RAM: 32 GB | Screen: 15 ″ 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) | Storage: 1 TB SSD
The ConceptD 7 is a computer intended for the “creative” notably thanks to its high performance. This computer is a summary of everything you need to run graphics software but also 3D. With 32 GB of RAM, the latest core i7-9750H six-core processor and the NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 graphics card with 8 GB dedicated memory, this computer is a small beast of power. The RTX 2080 is the most powerful graphics card for laptops at the moment.
On the storage side, we have solid: 1 TB SSD. Its 15 ″ UHD 4K screen is excellent and working on it is a real pleasure. The battery is also good in view of the on-board configuration. We will also appreciate the small feat of design, the pc is really very elegant, light and compact. This pc objectively has very few faults. We can criticize its price but in itself the price / quality ratio is quite correct.
You will understand, despite everything, for me the ConceptD 7 is one of the best laptops for creatives of the moment. If you are looking for a good laptop, simple and efficient to run mod software, whatever they are and you have a good budget, then this is the one for you.
Ps: If you like this PC, but you don’t have the budget, you can always fall back on its little brother, the ConceptD 3.
Choosing the right components for best laptops for video game design and development
1 – The CPU
3ds max, Maya, Cinema 4D, Blender and many other 3D software have integrated and external CPU rendering engines which all rely on multi-core processor performance.
The more powerful the processor, the better.
It is essential that you have the best possible processor for your new laptop. This unique component is a game changer in performance. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to filter out the best processors from the rest.
I recommend – if you are seriously involved in 3D and motion design – that you buy a laptop that has an Intel Core i7 HQ or HK processor. Make sure your computer is equipped with at least quad-core processors because the dual-core are limited enough to handle 3D applications.
2 – The GPU
Another very important factor to consider when you need to perform 3D processing is the graphics card. High-end graphics are vital for 3D work.
Unless you have lived in a cave, you already know that the market for laptop graphics cards at the consumer level (and to some extent at the professional level) is dominated by Nvidia. Orient yourself towards this brand in priority.
There are many points to take into account when choosing a graphics card, but at the moment an Nvidia GTX 1050 is the minimum to be able to do 3D. Do not go below.
3 – RAM
The amount of RAM installed on the laptop is a significant difference in the performance of the laptop.
Most 3D software providers recommend a minimum of 8 GB of RAM, but in practice, 8 GB is the minimum amount. To be truly comfortable with 3D modeling and rendering work, at least 16 GB of RAM is required.
For storage, an SSD is strictly recommended in a 3D-oriented laptop because its read and write speeds considerably increase the overall performance of the laptop.
You can choose the amount of storage according to your needs and budget.
5 – The display
During best laptops for video game design and development display is also very important. Display is another crucial thing to consider. The laptop screen should be anti-glare with comfortable viewing angles and should also be precise. Personally, I recommend IPS display with Full HD or 4K resolution for CAD and 3D modeling work, as they are good for all the aspects mentioned above.
Based on these parameters as well as on my personal experience, here is a selection of the 5 best laptops for 3D modeling of the moment.