Among best tablets for drawing in Photoshop 10 tablets sometimes offer a very different use than an 8-inch model. They have a larger screen and some are even equipped with a keyboard and / or a stylus which transforms them into real tools of productivity, that it’s be it office automation or even more creative tasks.
Best tablets for drawing in Photoshop
Apple iPad Air (2019)
- 10.5-inch Retina display with True Tone and wide color
- A12 Bionic chip
- Touch ID fingerprint sensor and Apple Pay
- 8MP back camera, 7MP FaceTime HD front camera
- Stereo speakers
After two generations, Apple had stopped production of the iPad Air to focus only on its entry-level model. It was almost a surprise when the manufacturer announced a new model in spring 2019.
A proven design
For this third generation of iPad Air, Apple has not been original and has taken almost exactly the design of the previous versions, with a thickness of 6.1mm and a weight of less than 500 grams. The device nevertheless increases its screen size to 10.5 inches and benefits from more refined borders. The TouchID fingerprint sensor is also back, with facial recognition remaining exclusive to the iPad Pro. The Retina display offers a resolution of 2224 x 1668 pixels at 264 pixels per inch and P3 color space management. True Tone technology, adjusting the white balance according to the ambient lighting is also on the program, to avoid straining your eyes at nightfall.
A technical sheet pulled up
It is really inside the beast that the changes are most important. Apple has integrated its A12 processor, which equips the iPhone XS, to the iPad Air for remarkable performance both in even the most demanding applications as in the latest 3D games. The front camera has a resolution of 7 megapixels, while the rear camera goes up to 8 megapixels. It is still a little disappointing but will suffice for a photo on the fly or to scan a document. Autonomy remains fairly estimated by the manufacturer at 10 hours. Apple still manages the day before and depending on your use, the iPad Air can last several days with a single full charge.
A system halfway between the tablet and the PC
What is game-changing with the iPad Air is that Apple has found the perfect compromise between consumer and professional use. iPad OS, the dedicated version of the Californian manufacturer’s mobile operating system, offers new features dedicated to professionals such as improved multitasking and a file explorer that is still limited but nevertheless present. The iPad Air is also compatible with Apple Pencil for drawing and retouching photos quickly, but also with keyboard cases designed by Apple (at prohibitive prices). It’s easy to turn your device into a complete computer, including hundreds of thousands of apps designed specifically for the tablet.
Apple iPad (2019)
- 10. 2-inch Retina display
- A10 Fusion chip
- Touch ID fingerprint sensor
- 8MP back camera, 1. 2MP FaceTime HD front camera
- Stereo speakers
Apple’s tablet remains a safe bet, but the manufacturer regularly updates its flagship product, while maintaining a floor price of around 449$. Does this 2019 version keep all its promises?
A (slightly) larger screen
The iPad 2019 … is an iPad. Since its launch in 2010, Apple’s flagship tablet has not fundamentally changed and the manufacturer remains on its achievements with a tablet that is both light and with exemplary finishes. The only novelty of this 2019 vintage: the screen which goes from 9.7 inches to 10.5 inches thanks to thinner borders on the sides of the panel. The LCD screen is still well made with a resolution of 2160 x 1620 pixels at 264 pixels per inch but is not laminated like that of the iPad Air for reasons of cost.
Sufficient power for the general public
Concession to keep a low price (for Apple), the components of the 2019 iPad have not been updated and the tablet retains an A10 chip, which now dates from 2016. Is this a real problem? No. Apple has optimized its iPad OS operating system with the small onions and the majority of applications available on the App Store run like a charm on the iPad, whether they are mobile games like streaming services or office applications. Apple has designed its iPad for families and the device does its job perfectly.
The tablet for students
Apple has invested heavily in the education sector for several years, and the iPad will be a great companion for students. The tablet is both compatible with the first-generation Apple Pencil but also with a brand-new keyboard case designed for the occasion. The iPad is a complete and versatile mobile computer. Autonomy remains blocked at 10 hours, a value which remains very correct in the context of average use.
The 8-megapixel camera does the job but the front camera, stuck at 1.2 megapixels, is more pettiness than a price compromise. Too bad Apple does not make a little effort that would not cost it so dear. The storage is blocked at 32 GB, a value that will probably suffice for many users but which again remains a little stingy given the price positioning of the iPad.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e: a very complete product for Android
- Ultra light for on the go; Lighter than a pound, our slimmest tablet won't add weight to your load; Stream, browse and more on eye catching metal design
- Crisp; Clear; Captivating; Get drawn in to the 10; 5 inches Super AMOLED display with an immersive 16: 10 ratio widescreen; Shows and movies come to life in true to life color and crisp, clear details
- Smartly connected; Control all your connected devices from your tablet; Adjust lights, control your TV, lock doors and even adjust the thermostat; Plus, get the details If you get a security camera alert
- Charge Fast and go; Get up to 15 hours of video on a full charge and power up quickly with fast charging
- Get 4 months of ad free YouTube and YouTube music with your Samsung Galaxy device
The Korean manufacturer has never let go of the touchscreen tablet market. In recent months, Samsung has offered the Galaxy Tab S5e, a convoluted name for a product that is not lacking in strengths.
A simply sublime screen
The Galaxy Tab S5e benefits from a 10.5-inch screen but the manufacturer has chosen Super AMOLED technology and a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels. The result is simply exceptional with very nuanced and vibrant colorimetry and perfect black in dark interfaces. The streaming content is also sublimated by this panel which allows you to enjoy your films and series in the best conditions.
The shape of the device remains classic, with an aluminum case with a thickness of 5.5 mm and very thin screen borders which reduce the bulk. The weight remains very contained at 400 grams. For the sound part, Samsung has placed four AKG speakers at the four corners of the device to amplify the stereo. The tablet is also Dolby Atmos 3D compatible for the supported content.
A technical sheet designed for family use
The Galaxy Tab S5e, despite a fairly steep price tag, is no lightning strike and only offers a mid-range Snapdragon 670 processor. Android is not the most suitable system for tablets and the performance of the device is sometimes a little slowed down but overall, for web browsing or streaming, the power is sufficient. The most demanding 3D games will be less usable, with a reduced frame rate and some slowdowns observed.
A very beautiful communication machine
Samsung has made an effort on the integrated cameras and particularly on the front sensor, with an 8-megapixel lens opening at f / 2.0. Helped by good microphones, the Galaxy Tab S5e allows you to make video calls with clear sound and fairly crisp picture quality. An excellent point. The rear sensor is 12 megapixel and allows you to take pretty pictures in the event that you do not have your smartphone near you. It can also scan documents or show a scene to an interlocutor in a video call. Autonomy is the excellent point of this tablet. With a 7040 mAh battery, the Galaxy Tab S5e can last two full days of versatile use. Incorporating a fast charging mode, it can be recharged in 2 hours.
Microsoft Surface Go
- Microsoft Surface Go 2-in-1 design (laptop / tablet / studio mode) smallest and lightest
- 10" Touchscreen PixelSense (1800 x 1200) Display | 8MP Rear-Facing Camera | 5MP Front-Facing Camera
- Intel Pentium Gold 4415Y Processor (1.60 GHz) | Intel HD Graphics 615 | Window 10 in S mode
- 4 GB Memory | 128 GB SSD | WiFi 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.1 | Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio Premium
- Include Type Cover | 1x USB-C | 1x Surface Connect Port | 1x Headphone Jack 1x microSDXC Card Reader for expandable memory
With the Surface range, Microsoft has always been keen to bring the tablet and the laptop closer together. The Surface Go allows the concept to be extended to the general public, with a device that is more affordable but also more technically limited.
No doubt, it’s a Surface
Microsoft has not reinvented the wheel and offers with the Surface Go a device that perfectly respects the design codes put in place for several years. The tablet has a 10-inch screen in 3: 2 format and a resolution of 1800 x 1200 pixels. The device also incorporates a foot to put it down for laptop use or simply watch videos on the train. It is obviously possible to add the Surface Cover, including a keyboard and a trackpad to use Windows 10 in the same way as a conventional computer. Disappointment, however, Microsoft continues to sell its accessory separately at a very high price (almost a quarter of the price of the Surface Go).
Surface Go is not a very powerful device and won’t be able to compete with more high-end laptops. Is it necessarily a defect? It all depends on what you expect from the device. Microsoft is presenting the Surface Go as a family computer, designed for entertainment but also as an extra computer for students, who will be able to find their work environment and the Office suite to take their classes and carry out their projects. And for those use cases, the Surface Go is perfect. However, it is impossible to play or use creative software because of an Intel processor that is too weak and favors the autonomy of the tablet.
A very good autonomy for a versatile use
The Surface Go can last about 6.5 hours of video playback and a little more for traditional use, including web browsing over Wi-Fi. This is not the best lifespan that we have. saw on a tablet of this type but sufficient for a day of work or lessons.The last big advantage and not the least of the Surface Go, it is obviously Windows 10. The tablet can use all the applications available on the platform. No restrictions are imposed by the publisher and you can use your software in the same way as a traditional computer.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A: a neat entry level
- Minimal bezel. Maximum view. Watch, stream and browse on a 10. 1" Full HD corner-to-corner Display. The lightweight premium metal design goes anywhere you go.
- Big sound for big entertainment. The perfect complement to a wide, immersive picture, Dopoundsy Atoms Surround sound fills the room with cinematic clarity.
- Binge-worthy Battery. Browse, watch Or shop for up to ten hours on a full charge.
- Room for everything. Never delete songs, photos or videos, thanks to ample built-in memory. Plus expand your storage up to 512GB anytime With a Micro SD card.
- Connectivity Technology: Bluetooth V4. 2; Wi-Fi Built In; Bluetooth; Usb
Only a few months ago Samsung reviewed its entire range of tables including the Galaxy A model. In a 10-inch format, the manufacturer offers a very surprising technical sheet for a price close to 200 euros. A great set of technologies for the general public Samsung uses for this device a 10.1-inch LCD panel precisely with a Full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and a display of 16 million pixels.
The design, with an entirely aluminum case, is very sober but very well finished. The device offers a USB port for recharging but also a 3.5 mm jack port that will delight music lovers. For sound, Samsung had the good idea to integrate two Dolby Atmos compatible speakers which will not offer an impeccable immersion in all your films and series but a solid quality to watch content on the go while on the move.
An Android system modified by Samsung for families
Obviously, the Galaxy Tab A runs on Android but Samsung has applied its One UI overlay which makes it possible to overcome certain shortcomings of the Google operating system concerning touch tablets. The interface is quite usable and the brand has integrated some features for use by all members of a family. We think in particular of Kids Home, a mode that is activated with a tap on an icon on the notifications panel and which only displays the games and educational applications intended for them, without the possibility of venturing onto the web.
Average performance but significant autonomy
The Galaxy Tab A incorporates an Exynos 7904 processor coupled with 2 GB of RAM. This will be more than enough to browse the web and watch video content on any platform. However, it will be difficult to do much more, and even less to use the tablet for professional use, as Samsung has designed its interface for the general public. The manufacturer compensates for its lack of power with an autonomy announced at 13 hours, which propels it among the best students in its category. A final precision concerning storage: 32 GB of integrated disk space but expandable up to 512 GB by micro SD.
Huawei Media Pad M5 Lite
- 【Excellent Performance】2019 HUAWEI MediaPad M5 lite tablet features a Curved-edge 2.5D 10.1-inch 1080p(1920 x 1200)display. For an even better viewing experience, HUAWEI ClariVu technology further enhances display brightness and clarity. Kirin 659 and stable Wi-Fi network connectivity. 8 MP Rear camera; 8 MP Front camera. 3G RAM + 32G ROM HDD(expandable microSD to 256GB)
- 【Excellent Sound】Co-engineered with Harman Kardon, the tablet's quad-speaker system delivers fine-tuned and precisely optimised concert hall audio effects, more bass, and less distortion. Great sound immerses you into the scene. The HUAWEI Histen 5.0 stereo audio creates rich soundscapes to provide you with multi-layered and penetrating 3D surround sound.
- 【Pure. Simple. Stylish】Its gentle, minimalist curves provide a luxurious look, while its slim, lightweight design delivers a spectacular hand-feeling. Equipped with advanced 2048-layer pressure sensitivity, the HUAWEI M-Pen lite Stylus enables you to naturally jot down notes and write memos with full responsiveness.
- 【Quick Charge】It takes only 2.9 hrs to get M5 Lite fully charged. Its 7500 mAh (TYP) battery and Smart Power-Saving technology allow you to enjoy 1080P videos to 12 hours.(Depending on the using environment, such as screen brightness)
- 【Smart UI & Eye Friendly】This Tablet features EMUI 8.0 (Based on Android 8.0). HUAWEI MediaPad M5 lite offers an enhanced eye-comfort mode that effectively reduces harmful blue light and provides smart reminders when the device is too close to your child's face, or when your child reads while laying down.
The tablet proposed by Huawei tickles its entry-level competitors. If the manufacturer offers a compromise by reducing the technical sheet to guarantee a moderate price, the device is swift and perfectly suited to the general public.
A technical sheet (slightly) revised downwards
Available since the start of the 2018 school year, this Media Pad M5 Lite is the lighter version of the M5, released 6 months earlier. Screen a little smaller (10.1 inches against 10.8 for the M5), a definition revised downwards (1920 x 1080 instead of 2560 x 1600), components a little less powerful (Kirin 659 + 3 GB of RAM): Huawei has made some savings to offer an attractive tablet at a competitive price. Especially since from the point of view of autonomy, these sacrifices are not really: they allow on the contrary to achieve an excellent performance / consumption ratio and gives this tablet exceptional endurance.
If the Media Pad M5 Lite stands out from its competitors, it is in terms of autonomy. It has a 7,500 mAh battery and can easily exceed 20 hours for versatile use, mixing web, video and games. Android 8.0 is used on the tablet, or at least EMUI 8, the version specially developed by Huawei of the operating system. The manufacturer was able to review part of the ergonomics to adapt it to a 10-inch screen. Everything remains fluid in all circumstances.
A creative tool
The Media Pad M5 Lite supports the stylus offered as an option by the manufacturer. It allows you to sign documents electronically, take notes and also draw in dedicated applications. Audio is not left out with the addition of four speakers from Harman Kardon, which offer an enveloping sound reproduction, rich in bass and detail. The photo part is barely correct, with an 8-megapixel main lens.
How to choose best tablets for drawing in Photoshop?
What operating system?
This is the first criterion of choice and probably the most important. For your tablet you will have the choice between iPad OS for Apple iPad, and it’s very impressive catalog of applications, and Android which will bring more freedom in the use of your device. We should not also forget Microsoft, which offers Windows 10 devices with the Surface range and access to all applications written for the PC universe.
For what type of use?
We can distinguish two types of use for a tablet. The first will be family-oriented, placing the tablet as a machine for content consumption and consultation. Power will not necessarily be a notable criterion but rather access to streaming services and screen quality. Some will also use the tablet to work, write documents, draw, edit videos or edit images. For the latter, we recommend devices powerful enough to run professional software. The possibility of adding a keyboard and a pointing device will be a plus.
And which screen to turn to?
Bigger does not necessarily mean better defined! Resolution is one of the most important criteria in choosing your 10-inch tablet. If it is high, it will guarantee you better reading comfort, with thinner fonts, but also the possibility of watching your videos in Full HD in their original resolution. For image purists, also pay attention to brightness and contrast ratio which will be just as important in your quest for the best possible video rendering.
What about autonomy?
A tablet should be able to accompany you throughout the day and more. Battery life of at least 12 hours will be essential so that you can ensure a full day on your device, especially if you use it for work, and a week by adding up the small sessions of use at home.